Militia

Joseph Kony about to surrender

Posted on

The leader of the Lord’s Resistant Army (LRA) Joseph Kony is in surrender talks with the government of the Central African Republic (CAR).

Kony is wanted by the International Criminal Court for war crimes. This is the first time in many years that his location is revealed.

_71245888_71245882
Joseph Kony

On Wednesday, the African Union’s special envoy in the LRA told the UN Security Council that Konuy was suffering from a “serious and uncharacterized illness”.

Joseph Kony and the estimated 200-500 fighters of his Lord’s Resistance Army (LRA) have waged war in Uganda and the region for more than two decades. He claims the LRA’s mission is to install a government in Uganda based on the Biblical Ten Commandments.

But his rebels have terrorised large swathes of the Democratic Republic of Congo, South Sudan and the CAR and he is wanted by the International Criminal Court accused of rape, mutilation and murder of civilians, as well as forcibly recruiting children to serve as soldiers and sex slaves.

jasonrussell_color
Jason Russell

No one really knew about the LRA until a US activist group, Invisible Children, released a video called “Kony 2012” where they explained the situation and asked for donations to help resolve the issue. The video went viral and donations were flooding in, but the campaign was criticized by some for oversimplifying the conflict and not spending enough money of the donations in the LRA victims.

The campaign lost all its credibility when a co-founder of Invisible Children, Jason Russel, was arrested in San Diego for masturbating in public whilst drunk.

The surrender of Joseph Kony means that a lot of child soldiers who were members of the LRA can now return to their families.

British soldiers killed unarmed civilians

Posted on

British soldiers in the city of Belfast, Northern Ireland, have killed unarmed civilians over an 18 month period. The soldiers were from an undercover unit.

The ex-members of the Military Reaction Force (disbanded in 1973) said they were tasked with huntin ¡g down IRA members in Belfastm, the capital of Northern Ireland. They also said that they believes the unit was saving lives.

The details have emerged a day after Northern Ireland’s attorney general, John Larkin, suggested ending any prosecutions over Troubles-related killings that took place before the signing of the Good Friday Agreement in 1998.

Three former members of the unit, said they had posed as Belfast City Council road sweepers, dustmen and even “meths drinkers”, carrying out surveillance from street gutters. But they also had another work to do. One of the soldiers said that they had aslo killed suspected members of the IRA.

There were more than 10,600 shootings in Northern Ireland, and since the MRF official records have been destroyed, there is no way of knowing how many of those shootings was the MRF responsible.

There are allegations that the soldiers killed unarmed, inocent citizens, since the MRF killed with the slightest suspicion of people being an IRA member.

THE IRA

The Irish Republican Army was a revolutionary military organization. The IRA carried a guerilla campaign against the British rule in Ireland. The IRA planted an average of 5 bombs a day in 1972, totaling over 18,00.

The MRF was responsible of eleminating the IRA group.

_71246177_ira624getty
The killings happened at the peak of the bombing campaign of the IRA

Car bomb kilss 10 in Egypt

Posted on

A car bomb has killed ten soldiers in the Sinai region, Egypt, and injured 31 more. The suicide bomber triggered the car bomb when two minibuses carrying soldiers were passing by.

No responsability has been claimed for the attack.

Last month, there was another car bomb in the same egyptian region that killed four security officers and wounding four others.

 

What is your opinion about this? Leave a comment to let me know! Don’t forget to follow the blog via e-mail to get notifications when more news are posted!

 

Libya spy chief released from kidnap

Posted on

Libya’s deputy intelligence chief has been released after his abduction yesterday (read the article of this here)

Mustafa Nuh had reportedly been held by gunmen from the western town of Zintan.

Meanwhile, Tripoli is observing a three-day strike after militias from Misrata city opened fire on demonstrators, killing more than 40 people on Friday and Saturday.

The Misrata militia have been ordered to leave Tripoli within three days.

Two years after its revolution, Libya still lacks a stable government.

The rival militias from across the country that helped topple Col Muammar Gaddafi in 2011 have so far refused to disarm.

They seize senior officials to gain political leverage.

Mr Nuh was bundled into a car after arriving at Tripoli international airport on Sunday, but was released on Monday morning.

China police station attacked

Posted on

Nine assailants attacked a police statoin in the western part of the Xinjiang province, they were all shot dead.

Xinhua news agency reports that two auxiliary police officers died in Saturday’s clashes in Bachu county’s Serikbuya, near the city of Kashgar.

Another two policemen were injured. Xinhua provided no further details.

Xinjiang – where Muslim Uighurs make up a large part of the population – has seen several clashes this year.

Last month, five people died when a car ploughed into a crowd in Beijing’s Tiananmen Square – an attack the authorities blamed on the separatist East Turkestan Islamic Movement (ETIM).

China often blames the ETIM for incidents in Xinjiang. But a few believe that the group has any capacity to carry out any serious acts of terror in China.

Uighur groups claim China uses ETIM as an excuse to justify repressive security in Xinjiang.

There are nine million Uighurs living in the province, but they are now a minority in the region, which is now dominated politically and economically by Han Chinese.

There were violent clashes in Xinjiang in April, June and August this year

 

What is your opinion about this? Leave a comment to let me know! Don’t forget to follow the blog via e-mail to get notifications when more news are posted!

Lybia’s deputy intelligence chief kidnapped

Posted on Updated on

The deputy intelligence chief Mustafa Nuh was kidnapped today. Lybian media says the abduction occurred in Lybia’s capital city Tripoli at the airport, but government officials can not confirm this.

The kidnapping comes as the Libyan capital observes a general strike in protest against the presence of militia groups in the city. The strike was called after more than 40 people died and hundreds were injured in two days of clashes.

The weak central government in Libya has struggled to keep control amid powerful local militia. These groups were originally formed to help oust Col Muammar Gaddafi, but two years later they refuse to disarm. No group has said it abducted Mr Nuh, but militias have seized senior officials before to get political leverage.

Prime Minister Ali Zeidan was held hostage for several hours by gunmen in October, before being released unharmed.

The Libyan capital has been tense and volatile since the clashes on Friday between militia based in Tripoli and protesters trying to evict them from their headquarters (read more about this here).

Tripoli’s local council has declared a three-day general strike, calling on all militia groups leave the area.

Most shops and schools are closed and many roadblocks have been erected by local residents and various armed groups.

People close shops to protest against the militias:

_71167731_71167617

What is your opinion about this? Leave a comment to let me know! Don’t forget to follow the blog via e-mail to get notifications when more news are posted!

Guinea’s Supreme Court denies any election fraud

Posted on

Guinea’s Supreme Court has upheld September’s election results which saw President Alpha Conde’s RPG (Rally of the Guinean People) party win the most seats.

Opposition parties have tried to annul the vote, alleging fraud. International observers said the election in the West African nation was marred by irregularities.

The ruling means the RPG won 53 seats, which falls short of an absolute majority in the 114-seat parliament.

“None of the complaints were supported with the necessary proof,” said Supreme Court President Mamadou Sylla.

President Conde’s main rival, Cellou Dalein Diallo, and his UFDG party won 37 seats while former Prime Minister Sidya Toure’s UFR secured 10 seats.

The remainder of seats were shared by 12 smaller parties and a period of coalition building is now expected.

A spokesman for an umbrella group of opposition parties said they were disappointed by the court’s ruling but would hold talks before announcing their next step.

The election was to replace a transitional government that has run the nation since military rule ended in 2010.

President Alpha Conde:

_71152000_018291715

 

 

What is your opinion about this? Leave a comment to let me know! Don’t forget to follow the blog via e-mail to get notifications when more news are posted!